Internal Payroll Director
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
There’s been no better time to join Gusto as an Internal Payroll technical SME. Across our Foundation teams, we’re beginning to fill the benches with the folks that are going to bring us to the next level, and this role will certainly be filled by one.
As we continue to grow and embrace international opportunities, and larger transactions, we need a player / coach in this role and also serve as a technical advisor to internal stakeholders.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Act as subject matter expert of the team and oversee and lead payroll processing of over 2,500 exempt and non-exempt employees in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Türkiye (with more to come!).
- Complete on-and off-cycle payroll processing activities, for multi-state U.S. and international payrolls, accurately, timely, and efficiently in compliance with all federal, state/provincial, local, and regulatory requirements.
- Perform audits on data and system maintenance, including, but not limited to new hire set up, tax forms processing, local taxes, timekeeping input, direct deposit set up, benefits set up, terminations, and garnishments processing.
- Develop, implement and maintain internal control policies, procedures, and compliance with respect to the payroll process, including, but not limited to pay policies, payroll calendars, payroll checklists, process maps and other procedural documentation.
- Ensure standard operating procedures are followed and maintained, and service level agreements are met by the team (e.g., response times and resolution of tickets).
- Provide internal client support to all areas of the organization in the United States and internationally, including payroll processing, ticket management, issue trend analysis, and project related work.
- Maintain confidential information when required by legal or ethical standards and professionalism to ensure privacy of employee records.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10 - 12+ years of experience processing domestic and international payroll.
- Experience processing payroll for exempt and non-exempt employees using Workday.
- Experience with processing payroll volume of over 2,500 employees.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills a must.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $133,000 - $165,000/year in Denver and $157,00 - $195,000/year in New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to email@example.com.