Remote · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2023
We started Ambrook (ambrook.com) with a mission to help farmers become more profitable and more sustainable. There is a virtuous cycle between profitability and sustainability in many natural resource industries, especially agriculture. Better soil health, water conservation, and climate resilience often leads to lower costs, increased yields, and price premiums for crops or livestock in the market. To reduce the upfront cost and knowledge barriers to implementing these practices, we are tackling an overlooked part of the operation: back office paperwork and financials. There’s tremendous room for improvement on existing software and time-consuming paperwork shuffling in the farm back office. Over time, we’ll expand beyond agriculture to drive sustainable practices in other natural resource industries: fisheries, forestry, water, energy, mining, and more.
We’re a Series A startup backed by top investors (Thrive Capital, Homebrew, Designer Fund, BoxGroup, and more) and are looking for mission- and values-aligned individuals to join our fully remote founding team.
Learn more about our mission and what it’s like to work with us.
Ambrook is building a world-class team. Joining a strong founding team of engineers, you’ll help drive our technical decisions and influence our product direction for years to come, with the goal of making agriculture more sustainable and profitable.
For many farms, poor broadband connectivity and little time in the office (if there is an office) means that the smartphone is the fastest computer available. Being able to run your business from the tractor, while at the farmer’s market, or in the field, is incredibly empowering. As a mobile engineer, your work will enable our engineers to be highly productive by emphasizing sharing business logic between platforms and crafting a high quality design system. These investments are being used today by our engineers to launch features to four platforms at a time (desktop web, mobile web, Android, iOS).
We’re looking for someone who we can count on to…
- Own: Delivery of elegant, performant product experiences and mobile product infrastructure.
- Teach: Best practices for crafting product experiences for smaller screens and how to leverage mobile specific APIs.
- Learn: Ins and outs of building an agrifinance and climate tech company, including the larger farm finance ecosystem. Build products full stack using TypeScript/Next.js.
- Improve: Existing mobile architecture and API, engineering tooling, and design system components.
Within 1 month you'll...
- Learn how to use Ambrook’s tech stack to deliver a standalone feature to our customers.
- Analyze Ambrook’s use of best practices and share a technical note with our team about where we have opportunities to improve.
- Familiarize yourself with Ambrook’s product and our research notes and recording repository from user onboarding calls and customer discovery interviews.
- Embed yourself deeply in understanding the state of farm finance, building a strong intuition about customer needs and audience segmentation.
- Contribute to Engineering team meetings and review code from peers.
- Participate in meetings with producers.
Within 3 months you'll...
- Collaborate with our Product team to influence prioritization of feature ideas and requests with insights from our audience.
- Build and improve on a Native Module in Kotlin/Swift to enable the product team to access new mobile specific functionality.
- Ship a new feature end to end for our core bookkeeping product as the engineering owner. By doing so, you’ll gain an understanding of potential areas of improvement for our cross platform infrastructure that you’ll then improve on.
- Plan and execute improvements to our mobile infrastructure, build systems, and CI/CD tooling.
Within 6 months you'll...
- Collaborate to design and execute improvements to our engineering stack, building new processes and onboarding our team to them.
- Champion a culture of engineering excellence, connecting its value to the needs of our community and the broader team.
- Write about your experience and how you improved Ambrook’s engineering culture and processes in a post on Ambrook Research.
- Experience shipping mobile apps for iOS or Android.
- Excited to build software that makes natural resource industries like agriculture more sustainable and profitable.
- Comfortable taking on ambiguous problems and creating elegant technical solutions.
- Bonus: Experience with React Native.
- Bonus: Experience building financial products.
- Bonus: Experience with Typescript, React, and/or Next.js.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance
- 401(k) with matching contribution
- Flexible vacation time
- Flexible work hours
- Work-from-home/remote office stipend
- Wellness stipend
- Professional development stipend
Our Tech Stack
- React Native app written in Typescript for iOS and Android
- Next.js / React application written in Typescript
- Hosted on Google Cloud
- Firestore & Google Cloud Storage for data storage
- BigQuery & Metabase for data insights
- Real Talk – We create space for ourselves and others to be straightforward, vulnerable, and accountable.
- Reach Understanding – We are driven by curiosity and empathy to learn about our customers, team, and world.
- Be Proactively Resourceful – We are internally motivated and externally empowered to identify opportunities and solve problems.
- Derisk Thoughtfully – We lean into the biggest risks we face as a company and put in the work to address them systematically.
- Find the Positive-Sum – We believe in creating incentive structures that align the needs of our company, our customers, and our planet.