Machine Learning Engineer
At Arthur, we are deeply passionate about building technology to make AI understandable, effective, and fair. Arthur makes machine learning work for enterprises through performance monitoring, explainability, and bias detection. We’re built by AI experts and backed by world-class, diverse investors.
This position is a rare (and fun!) opportunity to help shape the future of AI and its real-world impact. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe strongly in front-end ethics: building a company and industry where strong performance and a positive human impact are inextricably linked.
About the role
Arthur is looking for multiple product-focused Machine Learning Engineers to join our team, to operate with autonomy and with the support of the team to lead and build out our product vision.
What you'll do
- Focus on ML, especially LLMs, model performance, security, and robustness: make LLM and model-based systems respond accurately, quickly, and comprehensively to general and task-specific interactions by both natural and adversarial users – for example, checking veracity of responses, hardening against prompt injection, query-based routing to different models, and generation of evaluation datasets
- Build out new techniques and tooling in ML model monitoring: data drift detection, high-dimensional density estimation, time series anomaly detection; detection and mitigation of issues in fairness and bias in ML algorithms
- Identify, create, and deploy large-scale explainability methods for tabular, image, text, and other data – including human-centered explanations for generative AI applications
- Run machine learning experiments independently and in collaboration with product and research teams, and communicate results to internal stakeholders as well as the broader ML community via publications in top-tier conferences, industry conference presentations, deep technical blogs, and events
What we're looking for
- 3-5+ years of professional experience in Machine Learning, or in Engineering providing strong ML support, or in Data Science/Statistics with very strong Engineering expertise
- Experience with deploying ML models to production and with comprehensive model risk management
- Deep interest in LLMs (to start) and multimodal generative models (soon!), specifically around measuring bias or performance
- Enthusiasm for staying up to date on the latest developments in the field – we operate in a nascent space with plenty of signal and plenty of noise coming from arXiv and open source projects
- Understanding of software engineering best practices, version control, and containerization
- Experience with deep learning frameworks, such as JAX, Tensorflow, or PyTorch, in addition to deep experience writing production-grade Python
- Knowledge of and ability to (re)learn statistical methods and contemporary ML algorithms
- Customer empathy and a willingness to engage directly with customers and stakeholders
- Experience with public cloud services, such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
You might also have (nice to have)
- Experience or interest in interactive machine learning, HCI, human-centered ML and LLM evaluation, etc.
- Experience or interest in explainability and fairness of recommender systems
- A body of ML-focused publications (we tend to have a presence at NeurIPS/ICML, KDD, AAAI, CHI, and the newer responsible AI conferences like SaTML, FAccT, and AIES), technical blogging, and/or open source projects
- A Masters or PhD in a quantitative field – we’re not sticklers for degrees (many of us have Masters/PhDs, so we intimately understand this isn’t the only way to be a domain expert)
What to expect at Arthur
- Teammates who value curiosity, hard work, collaboration, and creative problem-solving -- and good swag
- A team of professionals who are passionate about our work and making a positive impact through AI
- A caring culture; we value and prioritize our team’s physical and mental health, encouraging and celebrating life outside of work
- Autonomy to pursue your role and interests with room to grow, with a team behind you that always has your back
- Joy, humor, and a little dose of healthy competition (in our business, we win as a team; on company game night, may the best Arthurian win…)
- Competitive compensation plus medical, dental, and vision insurance, and a 401K (with matching)
- Our target base salary range for this role is $160,000 - $230,000, based on your experience and how your skills align with role requirements
- Equity in what we’re building together, backed by some of the most respected VCs in the industry
- A flexible learning and development budget: we’ll support ways to learn and grow in the areas that matter to you
- Highly discounted wellness and fitness benefits
- Flexible PTO with vacation minimums, which we really want you to take and enjoy
- The ability to work in a highly flexible hybrid environment with our team from home, and from our NYC office
Arthur is an equal-opportunity employer; we believe strongly in front-end ethics: building a company and industry where strong performance and a positive human impact are inextricably linked. This reflects in our desire and commitment to build teams that comprise different backgrounds and experiences. Arthur provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.