About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a Propulsion Engineer to join our team. This position is responsible for leading analysis, design, development, integration, and testing of propulsion systems and components.
The engineer will function and communicate effectively within a highly multidisciplinary and collaborative development environment and will serve as a primary focal with suppliers and vendors in:
- the optimization of propulsion system and control concepts suitable for supersonic commercial aircraft
- the evaluation, verification, and validation of uninstalled and installed engine performance
- lead the identification, development, application, and advocacy of advanced engine control concepts, especially those that optimize the integrated airframe-engine system
- manages propulsion suppliers through the design, development, integration, and test of propulsion system components
Additional responsibilities would include: supporting inlet and nozzle design studies, engine operability assessments, and propulsion acoustics evaluations led primarily by other engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with 15 or more years of experience in aircraft engine conceptual design, engine cycle development, propulsion system performance modeling, and/or engine control system development
- Knowledge of and experience with FAR 23/25/33 certification standards
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing technical projects
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interface effectively with different groups internally and externally.
- Experience in preparing reports and presentations as needed to document and communicate work.
- Expert knowledge of advanced, multivariable engine cycles
- Experience with advanced integrated airframe-engine control concepts
- Experience with modeling and simulation of physical engine systems using Numerical Propulsion System Simulation (NPSS)
- Ground and flight test experience
- Work experience on projects in which integration between different engineering disciples occurred (Ex. Structural electrical analysis test)
Nice to have
- Experience working with a major engine manufacturer
- Experience with environmental qualification per DO-160.
- Experience in coordinating with suppliers from development phase to qualification.
- Experience with aircraft system safety processes and documentation (FHA / PASA / SSA).
- Familiarity with CFD analysis.
- Authored technical publications
The Base Salary Range for this position is $127,000 - $173,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Something looks off?