Loads & Dynamics Engineer - Technical Specialist 2
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
Boom is seeking a Loads and Dynamics Engineer to support the development of Overture. This individual will work closely with the aerodynamics and structures team to develop and refine external loads or evaluate flutter behaviors to support Overture's development.
This person will have an integral part in planning, developing and coordinating very important projects as well as providing technical assistance to team members related to Overture.
This person should have great communication skills and be able to collaborate with internal and external customers on technical matters. This person needs to be comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
The candidate will support one or more of the following as an L&D engineer:
- Generating aircraft static (maneuver), fatigue, and component external loads
- Characterizing static aeroelastic effects such as divergence and control surface effectiveness
- Characterizing discrete gust environments or flutter margins
- Characterizing random vibration environments of buffet or continuous gust turbulence
- Evaluating the interaction of flight controls when determining structural response
- Use FEA to predict modal behavior of both primary airframe structure and local structure
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering with 10+ years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and aerospace experience
- Programming aptitude
- Knowledge of aircraft loads and aeroelasticity principles and concepts
- Familiarity with industry standard tools, such as Nastran or Zaero
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working experience with fixed wing aircraft loads requirements (JSSG-2006 or FAR Part 23 or 25)
- Experience with fly-by-wire aircraft and ASE/ load alleviation functions (GLA/MLA)
The Base Salary Range for this position is $120,000 - $165,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.