Senior Software Engineer, Tools & Infrastructure
How You'll Contribute:
- Drive developer productivity practices to enable Color’s engineering team to develop novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare and genetics
- Engineer Color’s development environments to enable developers to quickly build, launch, and iterate using industry standard developer tools
- Collaborate with leaders across engineering to enable Color to scale the development team while minimizing development friction
- Lead the definition of observability standards and incident response processes to maintain high product quality at all times to reliably serve millions of users
- Partner with engineers to adapt existing development practices and tools to quickly respond to rapidly changing needs and opportunities
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage of our cloud infrastructure
Our Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have 6+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role)
- Have 2+ years experience working with Python web stacks
- Have 1+ years working on engineering projects focused on developer tools, productivity, operations, and/or site reliability
- Maintain a high bar for quality of code and work diligently to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds.
- Know the value of rigorous engineering practices, and also when to apply them.
- Effectively communicate ideas and designs in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make choices using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- Leverage off-the-shelf components when possible, with good judgment about what to use and where to find it.
- Have experience with modern development practices and products, such as AWS, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, CircleCI, linux, Docker, and git.
- Be passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic diseases.
- Want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- Have experience with infrastructure tools such as Terraform and Kubernetes.
Possible Projects to Contribute to:
- Rebuilding Color’s web development environment to enable developers to rapidly start a dev server that reliably mimics production
- Designing a faster release process through improvements and redesign of existing test automation
- Recommending a standard development toolchain as part of our onboarding process for new engineers
- Helping teams define SLOs for customer-facing services and build observability and incident response processes for the team to meet them
- Teaching a tutorial on a new CI/CD tool and how we can leverage it to improve release processes across the company
At Color we use the following technologies:
- Software: Python, Django, some Flask, Celery, React, some Angular (which we are getting rid of), a tiny bit of Node.js, and some Go (which we are getting rid of)
- Tasks: Celery
- Data: RDS Aurora
- Build and CI: GitHub, ArgoCD, Pants, CircleCI, a legacy system we are trying to kill
- Observability: Datadog, Honeycomb
- Cloud: AWS
- Platform: Kubernetes, Traefik
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📱 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- ⌨️ One-time ergonomic stipend for your remote work set up
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family