Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure for Bioinformatics
How You'll Contribute:
- Encourage adoption of engineering best practices (e.g. use of interfaces) throughout bioinformatics domains.
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase.
- Improve the quality, reliability, speed and cost of our bioinformatics pipelines.
- Build world-class bioinformatics tools that raise the bar industry-wide.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Advanced proficiency in Python is required. You maintain a high bar for quality of code and work aggressively to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds. You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- 5+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role). You have experience running cloud computing platforms (AWS) at scale, including 2+ years as a DevOps engineer.
- You have designed and deployed high performance and distributed cloud computing systems using common workflow engines (AWS step functions, Airflow, Nextflow, Argo, etc).
- You have strong linux skills and experience writing automation for tasks (e.g., bash, python). You are comfortable with the terminal and are able to use the shell to perform troubleshooting and performance analysis.
- You effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- You have a demonstrated interest in bioinformatics, computational biology or health data.
Nice to Have:
- You have experience with infrastructure management tools such as terraform and kubernetes.
- You have experience building pipelines using dedicated bioinformatics workflow engines (Nextflow, Snakemake, Cromwell, Toil, etc) and workflow languages (CWL, WDL).
- You are familiar with the basic principles in bioinformatics, genomics and NGS technology.
- You have experience shipping code in a clinical production environment.
- You have previously worked with large amounts of healthcare or genomic data.
Possible Projects to Contribute to:
- Build a genomics infrastructure that scales efficiently to the volume of large studies such as “All Of Us” (1 million participants).
- Design and implement a comprehensive observability strategy for bioinformatics pipelines and/or services.
- Reduce complexity or remove dependencies in our bioinformatics pipelines.
- Optimize runtime for “proof of principle” algorithms developed internally.
At Color We Use The Following Technologies:
- Software: Python, Django, Celery, React
- Build and CI: GitHub, ArgoCD, Pants, CircleCI
- Observability: Sentry, Datadog, Honeycomb
- Cloud: AWS - SQS, S3, EC2, EKS, Terraform, SageMaker
- Platform: Kubernetes, gRPC
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📱 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- ⌨️ One-time ergonomic stipend for your remote work set up
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family