Industrial Designer, Transportation
What You'll Own:
- Create high-quality images and animations of Elroy Air systems for use in press releases, design brochures, and customer presentations
- Create compelling and appropriate class-a surfacing concepts based on NACA airfoil geometry supplied by engineering
- Research and share surfacing design trends along with form and branding choices made by adjacent companies in the middle-mile, last-mile, and air taxi aerospace industry
- Contribute to the foundation of user experience, designs of vehicle systems and products such as fairings, OMLs, components, and features. Work across the full product design development cycle from ideation through start of production.
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external stakeholders such as engineering teams and external manufacturers to establish clear scope, deliverables, workflow, and hand-off points
- Be an advocate for ensuring our products, features, and components maintain design and brand intent through thoughtful collaboration with our Engineering and Operations teams across the continuum of our development and design for manufacturability processes
- Drive the Product Design portion of Elroy Air’s brand guide - laying the foundations of our form and CMF guidelines
- Create prototypes for validation, testing, customer visits, and marketing purposes
- Work with suppliers to achieve the best possible product in terms of craftsmanship, cost, and engineering
- Collaborate in design efforts outside of your core design team responsibilities, interest, professional development, and skill set as necessary
- Maintain clean project documentation, including design reviews, customer feedback, form design, development insights, etc. that may arise throughout the execution of a project
- Provide clear and actionable feedback in alignment with Design team priorities during collaborative reviews, white boarding sessions, and work discussions
- Assist the Design team in securing and managing contractors and other external support as necessary
- Nurture a collaborative relationship with other product focused teams at Elroy Air by establishing workflows requirements and deliverables
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Has 5+ years of Industrial or Transportation Design experience pertaining to aircraft design or robotic systems
- Has a full stack of sketching, class-a surface lofting, and rendering abilities
- Has the ability to “turn a wrench” and maintain an obsessive level of craft across many mediums
- Is well-versed in a wide variety of production and development processes including, but not limited to, machining, 3D printing, waterjet and laser cutting, welding, castings, injection molding, gluing & bonding, etc.
- Has contributed to the entire process of a product from the exterior loft through the end of the manufacturing process
Bonus Points For:
- Experience working in PLM systems
- Proficiency in NURBS modeling (i.e. Alias, Rhino, etc.), as well as the ability to go beyond the limitations of software tools and manually manipulate or refine surfaces
- Abilities and experience with on-location photo/video
- Experience developing parts and structures for weight-constrained applications
- Experience developing parts and structures involving large structural composite vehicles/robots/etc.
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Something looks off?