Senior Systems Test Engineer
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Senior Systems Test Engineer you will perform functional, environmental, and integrated system tests of flight critical components and subsystems for our hybrid eVTOL aircraft. You will have ownership of our testing projects and hardware, and be the go to person for our systems test activities for the entire engineering organization. We are a small team that values collaboration, and we envision this role working closely with engineering colleagues to create test plans, conduct testing, analyze data, and distribute actionable results. You will develop tools to improve the automation of our test hardware, proactively scaling the effectiveness of Systems Test within Elroy Air.
This is an onsite, full-time, salaried, exempt role based in South San Francisco with travel as needed to our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What you’ll own:
- The design, build, improvement, modification, and automation of both our existing test setups, as well as new ones, in order to test mechanical, electrical, and energy systems for our VTOL aircraft
- Development of scalable software tools to power test activities throughout the engineering organization
- Partnering with all aspects of our engineering team to understand test needs, create test plans, conduct testing, analyze results, and generate high quality reports for stakeholders
- Developing formal test procedures, instrumentation guidelines, test fixture designs, and other necessary tools to create safe, consistent, reliable, and scalable engineering test infrastructure
- Performing structural, environmental, and functional tests on various hardware components in order to validate component and system design
- Developing and conducting acceptance tests for vendor-supplied components. You'll collaborate with vendors to maximize component quality.
- Analyzing test data and compiling reports to provide quantifiable results to engineering partners
Our ideal candidate:
- 5+ years of hands-on system testing experience
- Experience with electromechanical or robotics systems
- Experience with DAQ equipment and ecosystems such as NI and LabJack
- Proficient with Python or other scripting language(s) and experience building software tools that interface with real hardware
- Comfortable interfacing with multiple engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, power, software, etc. across a variety of seniority levels
- Experience with the design and hands-on build of test stands and equipment
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with high voltage and high power systems
- Experience in using engineering test data to develop accurate models of system components
- Experience at an aerospace company
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $150,000 - $200,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Elroy Air does not engage with external recruiting agencies/individual recruiters that we do not have a written agreement with and all employment activities are managed through our People & Places team. We reserve the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.