Director of Flight Physics
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
We are seeking a Director of Flight Physics to lead the development and implementation of flight physics algorithms, models, and associated data to inform aircraft development. In this role, you will build and manage a team of talented engineers to develop accurate models for aircraft performance, aerodynamics, aeroelastics, and flight dynamics. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to ensure that these models and data are integrated seamlessly into our structural, avionics, flight controls, and powertrain systems.
This is a remote, full-time, exempt role. Some travel will be required (~3-5 days/month) including, but not limited to, visits to flight test locations and critical vendor visits to assure we hit key milestones.
What You'll Own:
- Establish a plan and vision for the development of flight physics tools and models, ensuring that the vision is aligned with the larger company priorities, timelines, and goals
- Own the development and validation of flight physics models, including sizing, aerodynamics, aeroelastics, performance, flight dynamics, and loads
- Recruit, hire, and manage a team of engineers to develop and maintain accurate models for flight simulation
- Work closely with the software and avionics teams to integrate flight physics models into our software and flight controls stack
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure that flight physics models meet system-level requirements for aircraft performance, acoustics, safety, and certification
- Stay up-to-date with the latest research and advancements in flight physics and aircraft design
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in flight physics, aircraft design, or a related field
- Experience managing a team of engineers
- Strong background in aerodynamics, performance, and flight dynamics modeling
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Python, and MATLAB
- Familiarity with simulation tools such as Simulink, CHARM, or FLIGHTLAB
- Knowledge of aircraft certification processes and regulations (e.g. FAR/CS23, DO-178C)
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to lead and mentor team members to achieve goals and meet deadlines
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with electric or hybrid-electric aircraft design and performance optimization
- Familiarity with advanced modeling and simulation techniques, such as machine learning or optimization algorithms
- Knowledge of control theory
- Experience with experimental aerodynamics, subscale, or wind tunnel testing
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Elroy Air does not engage with external recruiting agencies/individual recruiters that we do not have a written agreement with and all employment activities are managed through our People & Places team. We reserve the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.