Senior Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, February 9, 2021
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a GNC Engineer at Elroy Air, you will own the autopilot design for one of the world’s first full-scale autonomous cargo aircraft - and then watch it fly. Specifically, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and test of key guidance, estimation, and flight control algorithms onboard. Your responsibilities extend to building and applying high-fidelity models of our aircraft to ensure the robustness and performance throughout its flight envelope. You will work closely with team members in avionics, software, autonomy, and flight test to ensure the seamless integration of your developed algorithms.
This is a remote, full-time, exempt role. Some travel will be required (~1 week/quarter) including, but not limited to, visits to flight test locations and critical vendor visits to assure we hit key milestones.
What You'll Own:
- The design, implementation, verification and deployment of guidance, navigation and control algorithms on board Elroy’s full scale autonomous cargo aircraft
- The development of linear and non-linear simulations of our aircraft’s entire flight envelope using both experimental system identification, CFD predictions, and physics-based modeling techniques
- Application of proven analysis and model-based design techniques to optimize our control laws for desired stability and performance characteristics
- The development, implementation and test of contingency strategies to ensure safe and predictable system response during off-nominal flight conditions
- Architecting and supporting the implementation of our autopilot software in close collaboration with our avionics and flight software engineers
- Experimental verification of the developed algorithms by supporting and participating in flight tests
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years of hands-on experience designing, implementing, and deploying GNC algorithms on large-scale aerial platforms
- Experience implementing GNC software utilizing Model-Based Design best-practices
- Experience identifying, modeling and simulating complex, ideally aerial, systems
- Strong background in common controls analysis, design and implementation tools and programming languages (Matlab/Simulink, Python, C++, etc.)
- Familiarity with common flight control stability and performance requirement sources (ADS-33, MIL-F-9490, MIL-STD-1797, etc.)
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Previous experience modeling, analyzing, and controlling VTOL or hybrid aircraft
- Experience implementing path and motion planning algorithms for complex dynamic systems
- Familiarity with safety-critical coding standards and guidelines (JSF++, MISRA, AUTOSAR, etc.)
- Familiarity with aviation software certification standards and processes (e.g. DO-178C)
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $200,000 - $240,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Elroy Air does not engage with external recruiting agencies/individual recruiters that we do not have a written agreement with and all employment activities are managed through our People & Places team. We reserve the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.