Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access. We make it easy for people to find quality in-network mental health care by removing historic barriers faced by mental health providers, payers, and patients.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the vast majority do not get the care they need. The primary reason is cost: the majority of therapists do not accept insurance, meaning paying for therapy is prohibitively expensive for prospective patients. This is where we got our start – Headway has built the first software-enabled network of therapists who accept health insurance, making it easy for therapists to grow their practices, and possible for patients to find quality care they can afford.
We launched in April of 2019 and are now powering 400,000+ appointments per month. To scale our vision, we’ve raised over $100 million in funding from a16z, Thrive, Accel, and Google Ventures.
Join us, and make an impact
About Infrastructure at Headway
Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of the scale and leverage that software can provide. As our company grows, so does the demand on our infrastructure to support an increase in traffic, data, and scale. The infrastructure engineering team at Headway is a small but mighty team building our AWS infrastructure, automated deploy processes, and developer experience that helps us deliver a best-in-class experience for our patients and therapists.
Principles that guide us:
- Focus on the mission: We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
- Ship small, learn fast: We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration
- Everything is a product: Whether it's our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
- Optimize for trust: We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
Tools we use:
- Languages: Python 3, TypeScript, Spark and Kafka
- Libraries: FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis
- Data processing: Spark, Kafka
- Infrastructure: AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring: Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control: Github
Who you are
We’re looking for infrastructure engineers with a backgound in DevOps, Site Reliability, Platform and/or Software Engineering who have the ability to deal with ambiguity and learn new technologies and systems. Below are some additional experiences we think help engineers succeed at Headway.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 5+ years experience as a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), DevOps, Infrastructure or Software Engineer with a focus on performance and scalability
- Have cloud infrastructure experience (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Pulumi, AWS CDK, etc.)
- Can communicate well, both verbally and via documentation
- Have a track record of working well across teams and functions
- Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with Docker
- Are well-versed in shell scripting
- Have worked with monitoring and APM tools (Datadog, New Relic, etc.)
- Have experience with security and compliance, particularly in a regulated environment
You will love this role if you want to:
- Change the trajectory of a startup striving to redefine access to mental health in America
- Work on a highly collaborative, cross-functional engineering team in order to build the best products for therapists, patients, physician and payer partners, and/or your teammates at Headway
- Build and improve tooling to make engineering more streamlined and efficient
- Help establish and engrain best practices throughout our codebases
- Work in a fast-paced, iterative development process -- we release changes to our products multiple times per day!
- Contribute to our engineering culture, processes, and documentation with the same thought and care that we do our software (one of our engineering cultural principles is “Everything is a Product”)
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the interview process.
- Initial screen: You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with an engineer on the team to complete a technical exercise and learn more about the infrastructure team.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members of our engineering team for technical and non-technical interviews and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from our NYC HQ.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.