Senior Security Engineer
Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access. We make it easy for people to find quality in-network mental health care by removing historic barriers faced by mental health providers, payers, and patients.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the vast majority do not get the care they need. The primary reason is cost: the majority of therapists do not accept insurance, meaning paying for therapy is prohibitively expensive for prospective patients. This is where we got our start – Headway has built the first software-enabled network of therapists who accept health insurance, making it easy for therapists to grow their practices, and possible for patients to find quality care they can afford.
We launched in April of 2019 and are now powering 400,000+ appointments per month. To scale our vision, we’ve raised over $100 million in funding from a16z, Thrive, Accel, and Google Ventures.
Join us, and make an impact
About the role
As a member of Headway’s founding Security Engineering team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to be the builder and driver of our dedicated, in-house Security engineering efforts. In this role, you will partner with our Lead Security Engineer and Head of Infrastructure to design our next-generation security program, touching all aspects of Headway’s business and systems. You will both technically and organizationally execute security projects ranging from practice changes to technical architecture to security infrastructure development to penetration testing.
Tools we use:
- Languages: Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries: FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring: Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control: Github
Who you are:
- You have technical experience with implementing secure platforms and products at a deep level.
- You enjoy tackling deep technical problems and producing technical and automation, sometimes operating as a leader of new security or operational initiatives.
- You want to instill a culture of secure development across engineering and partner across teams to embrace security as a part of normal development.
- You are an avid security evangelist and seek to teach others how to improve while enabling them to succeed.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 5+ years experience in security and/or software engineering roles with a demonstrated history of working on security-related projects or with responsibilities as a security generalist.
- Experience across multiple (if not all) domains, such as infrastructure security, product/application security, data security and/or operations security
- Strong cross-functional experiences, building relationships and driving impactful projects
- The ability and drive to continuously educate yourself and others
You’ll love this role if you want to:
- Change the trajectory of a startup striving to redefine access to mental health in America
- Work on a highly collaborative, cross-functional engineering team in order to build the best and most secure products for therapists, patients, physician and payer partners, and/or your teammates at Headway
- Help establish and engrain best practices throughout our organization
- Contribute to our engineering culture, processes, and documentation with the same thought and care that we do our software (one of our engineering cultural principles is “Everything is a Product”)
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the interview process.
- Initial screen: You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with our Lead Security Engineer for introductions and a an architecture interview.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews, including our Head of Infrastructure who this role reports to, and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from our NYC HQ.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Something looks off?