Senior Security Software Engineer
Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access. We make it easy for people to find quality in-network mental health care by removing historic barriers faced by mental health providers, payers, and patients.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the vast majority do not get the care they need. The primary reason is cost: the majority of therapists do not accept insurance, meaning paying for therapy is prohibitively expensive. This is where we got our start – Headway has built the first software-enabled national network of therapists who accept health insurance, making it possible for patients to find quality care they can afford and enabling mental healthcare providers to grow their practice.
We launched in April of 2019 and are now powering 500,000+ appointments a month. To scale our vision, we’ve raised over over $100 million in funding from a16z, Thrive, Accel, Spark Capital, and Google Ventures.
Join us, and make an impact
About the role
As a member of Headway’s founding Security Engineering team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to be the builder and driver of our dedicated, in-house Security engineering efforts. In this role, you will partner with our Lead Security Engineer and Head of Infrastructure to design our next-generation security program, touching all aspects of Headway’s business and systems. You will both technically and organizationally execute security projects ranging from practice changes to technical architecture to security infrastructure development to penetration testing.
Tools we use:
- Cloud security: Lacework
- Languages: Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries: FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring: Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control: Github
- Vulnerability Management: Snyk, Semgrep
Projects we’re working on:
There is a lot that we're building at Headway, but here are a few projects to give you an idea of the problems we're tackling in security.
- Infrastructure security: Building and implementing tools that monitor the security posture of our infrastructure and provide for more secure access in a scalable manner as we grow.
- Application security: Building systems that provide guardrails and enable developers to do security
- Data security: Building systems and tools that monitor our data flows and access.
Who you are:
- You have technical experience with building secure platforms and products at a deep level.
- You are excited to perform security design and code reviews.
- You want to understand security systems and improve their efficiency and scalability.
- You enjoy tackling deep technical problems, sometimes operating as a leader of new security or engineering initiatives.
- You want to instill a culture of secure development across engineering and partner across teams to embrace security as a part of normal development.
Experience we’re seeking:
- 5+ years experience in security and/or software engineering roles with a demonstrated history of working on security-related projects or with responsibilities as a security generalist
- Experience across multiple (if not all) domains, such as infrastructure security, product security, application security, and/or data security
- Strong cross-functional experiences, building relationships and driving impactful projects
- The ability and drive to continuously educate yourself and others
You’ll love this role if you want to:
- Change the trajectory of a startup striving to redefine access to mental health in America
- Work on a highly collaborative, cross-functional engineering team in order to build the best and most secure products for therapists, patients, physician and payer partners, and/or your teammates at Headway
- Help establish and engrain best practices throughout our organization
- Contribute to our engineering culture, processes, and documentation with the same thought and care that we do our software (one of our engineering cultural principles is “Everything is a Product”)
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the interview process.
- Initial screen: You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with our Lead Security Engineer for introductions and an architecture interview.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews, including our Head of Infrastructure who this role reports to, and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role:
- The starting salary for Security Engineers is $163,500 and increases to $230,000 based on industry tenure and experience.
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click here.