Headway’s mission is a big one - to build a new mental health care system everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers accepting insurance.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their practice.
Headway was founded in 2019 – since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company with over $225m in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career. Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About The Role
As Headway’s Medical Director, you will further develop Headway’s quality and compliance program, leading the Credentialing and Quality teams to continue expanding Headway’s provider network and drive clinician performance management. You’ll also work cross-functionally with our Product and CX teams to shape product development to align with our quality initiatives.
As the only tech-enabled behavioral health Managed Services Organization (MSO) built with entirely in-house software, Headway has an unprecedented opportunity in the clinical space. Today, we support more than 20k Clinicians and hundreds of thousands of patients. Building a best in class digital product will impact clinicians and patients nationwide.
You’ll be great for this role if:
- You are a physician (MD)– have 5+ years of experience as a psychiatrist with experience both as a practicing provider as well as operating in a fast-paced, high growth business.
- You bring 3+ years of experience working in Clinical or Medical Leadership roles in technology environments
- You are a thought leader – with demonstrated passion for reimagining how behavioral health quality is defined, measured, and operationalized. This likely means you’ve worked in health plans, health systems, and / or value-based healthcare startups. You have experience in merging technology and healthcare
- You are a collaborator – eager and adept at working in concert with product, operations, and sales teams to infuse clinical strategy across the org.
- You have experience supervising clinicians or large teams of providers, with an emphasis on performance management
- You have cross-functional experience - working with interdisciplinary teams
- You’re effective at communicating clinical information to non-clinical staff
- You have experience working with or managing Medicare Advantage plans
- You have previously developed or managed clinical quality measurement and peer review systems in healthcare
- You have past experience with a Telehealth Organization and/or startup
- You are or are willing to be licensed in multiple states
- Lead the Credentialing, Quality, and Appeals teams at Headway
- Develop Headway’s provider onboarding training and provider engagement program
- Develop Headway’s clinical quality monitoring and training program
- Develop Headway’s Medicare Advantage program
- Contribute to strategic planning, direction, and goal setting for the Clinical Team
- Review and approve new group members into Headway’s Practice Group
- Collaborate with the credentialing team to ensure effective credentialing criteria and processes to attract and retain providers
- Own the medical Professional Corporation (PC) associated with Headway
- Support the establishment, maintenance and communication of appropriate policies, procedures, and clinical practice guidelines to support top quality behavioral health services
- Partner with CX, Compliance, Ops and Product, and Engineering teams to ensure the delivery of our behavioral health services are reliable, measurable and of high quality
- Promote external relations with Payers through relationship building, presentations, sales meetings, and conference participation
- Determine if removal of a provider is appropriate based on the code of conduct
- Assist in the training, continuing education, and development of medical providers at Headway
- Develop a critical understanding of how mental health clinicians utilize digital tools to deliver high quality care and document in a compliant manner
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including product, design, growth, marketing, payer relations, data analysis, and operations
- Serve as the liaison between the psychiatric provider community and our cross functional teams
- Work a minimal number of clinical hours to maintain first-hand knowledge of the product and provider experience
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role and is differentiated based on geographic location (Group A, B, or C)
- Group A = NYC/Tri-State Area, SF/Bay Area, LA Area, Seattle, Boston, Austin, and San Diego
- Group B = Chicago, Miami, Denver, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Nashville, Sacramento, Phoenix, and Portland
- Group C = All remaining cities
- Group A: $320,000
- Group B: $288,000
- Group C: $256,000
- Examples of cities located in each Compensation Grouping:
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco. Headway participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click here.