Hummingbird is a remote-first, fully distributed team united by the shared mission of helping fight financial crime. Since our launch in 2017, we’ve helped major financial institutions and tech-savvy trailblazers alike (e.g. Stripe, Affirm, etc.) orchestrate their compliance programs through our thoughtfully designed, intuitive SaaS product. We believe finding and stopping financial crime is a problem rooted in code, language and design, so we built the product that the heroes doing this work deserve.
We are customer-obsessed, and we love building and shipping great products. We set a high bar, challenge our assumptions, seek diverse opinions, and support each other to do our best work.
About the Role
We are looking for a driven data engineer to join our team and champion the use of data at Hummingbird. Data plays a crucial role in our mission to fight financial crime and you will help us find new and innovative ways to leverage it to provide powerful tools for our users, and allow us to better understand the usage of our product. Hummingbird is uniquely positioned at the intersection of financial technology, security, policy, and law enforcement and as such we have built up a one of a kind data set that we can now use to give our customers the edge in their efforts to stay ahead of criminals. As an employee at a small startup, you will have the opportunity to wear many hats, working from product discovery through implementation.
What you’re looking to do:
- Level up our use of data to make better decisions, build more powerful features, and fight financial crime
- Leverage Infrastructure as Code (IaC) to manage and deploy infrastructure that supports a variety of different projects, such as data replication and orchestration for machine learning workflows
- Build new data pipelines for ingesting data into our data warehouse via both batch and streaming architectures
- Work closely with data science to enable us to build products that benefit our customers while keeping compliance and security at the forefront
- Achieve goals through a combination of independent building, educating your peers, and influencing others to contribute towards your vision
What we’re looking for:
- A data engineer with a history of taking projects from the earliest stages through successful rollout to production
- Someone who is excited by the prospect of pioneering data as a practice at a fast growing startup and who is unafraid to dig in to discover what is possible
- A flexible self starter that will cut across organizational lines to understand the business and identify the most valuable work
- An engineer who brings a pragmatic approach to problem solving, favoring simplicity and shortening delivery cycles
- Experience building data pipelines for sensitive data, including best practices for de-identification and data security
- Experience deploying infrastructure via terraform or a similar infrastructure as code tool
- Expertise in SQL and one or more programming languages, especially python
What’s in it for you:
- The chance to help build from the ground up. The hires we’re making now are foundational to our growth as a company, so you will have an opportunity to help shape the future of Hummingbird.
- Competitive compensation including cash and equity.
- Remote-first, fully distributed company with flexible working hours.
- Awesome health, vision & dental benefits, and 401k.
- Safe, respectful & comfortable work environment with colleagues and leadership who prioritize diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please don't hesitate to contact us to request accommodation.