Senior Commercial Property E&S Production UW - Western USA
Kettle's mission is to balance risk in a changing climate. Kettle uses deep learning and proprietary algorithms to reshape the r/einsurance industry and better protect people from the growing risks associated with climate change. Kettle protects businesses, homes, and livelihoods with insurance focused on areas being affected by climate change, such as wildfires in California or tropical cyclones in Florida. To learn more, visit ourkettle.com.
The insurance industry is struggling due to a 3x increase in $1B+ crises caused by climate change. Kettle uses advanced technology to better underwrite risk and ensure that people’s lives are not destroyed when these events happen. By building the most sophisticated machine learning models to predict when and where catastrophic events happen, Kettle accurately prices the cost of covering these risks, such as in wildfire prone areas in California.
Who we are/what we value:
● Obsessive Fanatics - We obsess over big problems. We are fanatical about our business/mission. We drive the company towards the areas people describe as ‘impossible to understand or stop’
● Hustle Powered - we are entrepreneurs and expect everyone to be self-driven and driven.
● Data Focused - With the world burning worse every year, we can’t afford opinions and bias to derail data driven decisions.
● Questioning Renegades - We work in a 600 year old industry. If everyone is running one direction, we generally sprint in the other.
● Impact Driven - We are a mission driven business
We are looking for an experienced Senior Commercial Property E&S Production Underwriter to join our team and lead our efforts building our Commercial E&S book in California.
We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented populations in tech - such as women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people, etc - to apply!
Role Primary Responsibilities
● Solicit underwriting submissions and assess risks for rating and aggregation
● Return eligible quotes to brokers/agents promptly in an aim for market-leading customer service levels
● Maintain constant communication with brokers, wholesalers, and agents to promote awareness of Kettle product appetite and availability
● Actively engage counterparties to best position Kettle products for appropriate market fit
● Monitor underwriting controls and ensure all policy documentation is per agreed standards
● Work in close alignment with underwriting team to ensure execution of product strategy
We are looking for a highly motivated, successful Senior Commercial Property E&S Production Underwriter to work on building and underwriting our book of business in California with forecasted expansion to the rest of Western USA. They should be a demonstrated self-starter with at least five years experience selling and underwriting a Commercial Property E&S book at a broker, wholesaler, or carrier in California. This person needs to have the drive to make sure we hit our premium goals while maintaining an adequate loss ratio. Below we have listed out some things we are looking for; you do not need to check all these boxes to be eligible for this position.
Essential Experience of a Successful Candidate
● Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in a technical field
● Independent self-starter with ability to work in a remote environment
● 5+ years of experience underwriting commercial property business, preferably on an E&S basis
● Demonstrated track record of building broker relationships
● Ability to work within a team to meet iterative goals
● Successful direct marketing of underwriting products to brokers/agents
● Familiarity with commercial policy forms and rating tables
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Expertise with quantitative risk assessment of catastrophe perils
● Knowledge of industry trends and regulatory requirements
● CPCU, INS, or similar industry certifications/designations
● P&C insurance licenses
We offer a competitive package that is based on location and experience. We also offer the following benefits:
● Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing venture-backed company.
● 401k matching: We care about your ability to save for your future.
● Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
● Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
● Healthcare: Platinum level Medical, dental, and vision policies.
● Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
● Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, annual retreat, and celebrations.
● Learning: Learning & Development Opportunities to grow your skills and career.
● Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference!
● Flexible culture: We are results-focused. We don’t work at the office every day.
● ...And much more! Lots of other perks make this company an incredible place to work.