Senior Software Engineer - Expansion User Management (Auth Systems)
Heimdall could hear the grass grow. He could see for hundreds of miles. These keen senses made him an excellent guardian of Bifrost and Asgard. He was also known to be a fair and just god, both wise and rational amidst the chaotic world of Norse mythology. It makes sense, then, that he would be at constant odds with the trickster god Loki.
At Mercury, we’ve created one of the best banking* experience for small startups. To reach the next level the User Management team is building a robust Authorization System that can empower our customers to guard themselves against trickster gods and chaos. We are looking for someone who is wise and can help us create this system in a way that is delightful to use, loved by our customers. But it’s ok if you have a mischievous streak too
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC.
Technically, we’re working on these challenges:
- Research, ideate, and implement a new Authorization System to meet the needs of larger customers, while being delightful to use
- Migrate our existing Authorization System to the new one
- Connect with HRISs to provide enriched user data within the Mercury app
- Further define and improve our “User Primitive” and help shape the future of our team
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll do things like:
- Help research, ideate, and implement a new Authz System using Haskell or a DSL.
- Mentor teammates on authz systems.
- Work across the entire Product, Design, and Engineering organizations to coordinate the adoption of this new authz system.
- Provide documentation and other forms of training for fellow software engineers to use the new system
- Balance the needs of larger companies for a robust system, with the needs of smaller startups for an easy experience that Just Works
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience migrating a pre-existing Authorization System to a new one
- Experience researching and implementing an Authorization System from scratch
- Experience maintaining said Authorization System for multiple years
- Experience with relevant technologies such as ALFA, Zanzibar, OPA, etc
- Experience mentoring teammates
The total rewards package at Mercury includes base salary, equity (stock options), and benefits. Our salary and equity ranges are highly competitive within the SaaS and fintech industry and are updated regularly using the most reliable compensation survey data for our industry. New hire offers are made based on a candidate’s experience, expertise, geographic location, and internal pay equity relative to peers.
Our target new hire base salary ranges for this role are the following:
- US employees in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, or the San Francisco Bay Area: $203,100 - $238,900
- Canadian employees (any location): CAD $184,800 - $217,400