Senior Software Engineer
Remote · United States
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
Primary is a mom-founded kids clothing brand on a mission to encourage every kid to be the truest version of themselves. Since launching in 2015, Primary offers an assortment of simple, beautiful, gender neutral styles known for their hand-me-downable quality, super soft and sustainable fabrics, and slogan-free designs. Our customers are passionate about our mission, which has led to incredibly strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there.
Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture.
Full-Time Employee Benefits:
- 4-day workweek: Fridays are flexible at Primary to allow you to manage your work-life balance
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, & insurance, pre-tax spending/savings accounts, 401(k), company-provided disability & life insurance, and more.
- Generous time off: 12 days of PTO (15 days after two years at the company), 3 floating holidays, 11 company-paid holidays (plus the last week of December off), plus 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
- Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work).
- $500 to spend on improving your work from home setup (for remote/hybrid employees)
Primary is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to support our fast-paced business on the EPD (Engineering, Product, & Design) team. We are looking for someone who understands that a diversity of perspectives and experiences are key to building great products for our customers.
In this role, you’ll work on both internal tools as well as customer-facing features - an entire feature often includes both. The work you encounter will vary, from delivering new features that live on top of Shopify’s API to building and maintaining new and existing services that will help our internal teams work more efficiently.
The role is 100% remote and can be based anywhere in the US.
Do these sound like you?
- You communicate well verbally and in writing, across different audiences. We regularly collaborate with peers across teams such as merchandising, planning, support, logistics, and more on non-technical issues.
- You are comfortable participating in the product development process, from start to finish. You can take an idea and develop it into a full fledged product, providing estimates and breakdowns of work along the way.
- You are pragmatic - you put the customer first and strike a strong balance building the best possible customer experiences within engineering constraints. You're able to lead architecture discussions and make decisions based on this pragmatism.
- You believe that good product development depends on diversity, collaboration, communication, and empathy.
- You believe that accessibility should be baked in from the start, and you are familiar with accessibility best practices.
- When not in collaboration mode, you're a self-starter who is able to work independently in a remote environment. You are comfortable owning, and executing on, tasks and projects from start to finish.
- You believe in blameless culture and assume positive intent - we’re all doing the best we can, given the resources we have.
- You can quickly pick up on new environments and are comfortable switching languages/contexts on a daily basis.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has at least 5+ years of professional experience writing and maintaining production-level applications.
- Is comfortable working across the stack and working in a variety of contexts - we use React, Typescript, GraphQL, Jest, Remix, Liquid, CSS/SCSS, and Ruby on Rails.
- Has experience working with a cloud/serverless architecture - we use a mix of Cloudflare workers, AWS Lambdas, and EventBus.
- Has experience with e-commerce, apparel, and/or Shopify.
- Has experience working collaboratively with designers and product managers to come up with optimal solutions based on both requirements and reality.
Want to apply but not sure if you’d be the right fit? If this role calls to you, we want to hear from you. There is no ‘perfect’ candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity is what makes us strong. Speaking of which - not only is discrimination illegal, it is simply not tolerated at Primary. We welcome all candidates who are currently eligible to work full-time in the United States for any employer to apply.
If you have any accommodation needs for your interview, please let us know at hr at primary dot com. We are happy to make reasonable accommodations at any point during your time with Primary.