Senior Engineering Manager - Aerodynamics & Performance (R2204)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Dallas, TX, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
The Aerodynamics and Performance team focuses on researching and developing state-of-the-art, high-performance vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft. As the Aerodynamics and Performance Manager, you’ll lead an agile team grounded in first principles to push the boundaries of the state-of-the-art.
What you'll do:
- Establish processes to streamline workflow and maximize group efficiency
- Establish quality standards to ensure consistent excellence for all work products
- Provide training and career development for group members
- Manage team performance and put into place performance plans to help develop team members.
- Mentor engineers and guide development of new aircraft configurations. Oversee aerodynamic performance analysis across a large array of air vehicle designs via CAD, low fidelity tools, CFD, ground test, wind tunnel test, and flight test experiments
- Collaborate with and present findings to other internal functional teams and program-based teams
- Bachelor's degree with 5-8 years professional experience related to aircraft development or aerodynamic design
- Experience partnering with a multidisciplinary engineering team, including mechanical, electrical, propulsion, software, and AI disciplines
- Solid understanding of aerodynamic fundamentals, CFD techniques, and wind tunnel testing
- Experience with aerodynamic tools and techniques, e.g. vortex-lattice, panel-method, etc.
- Experience with Pointwise or similar CFD software tools
- Experience with Matlab or Python for data analysis Familiarity with translating aerodynamic analyses into workable design solutions for flight vehicles
- Familiarity with lofting/surfacing tools in SolidWorks (or equivalent CAD software tools) for generating water-tight geometries
- Passion for solving complex problems in a fast-moving environment
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Master’s degree or a PhD
- Experience with functional engineering management
- Experience with engineering project management
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.