Autonomy Engineer, Task Group (R2423)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
The Planning and Controls (PAC) team is an agile group of engineers focused on researching and developing state-of-the-art algorithms that drive intelligent and confidence-inspiring flight behaviors while accounting for an uncertain and dynamic world.
As a member of the PAC Task Group, you will work on task planning both for single robots as well as teams of robots. You will develop cutting edge algorithms and production grade software while working with a close-knit team from diverse backgrounds. Your focus will primarily be on architecting and implementing coordination of robot teams and supporting cross-platform core planning capabilities.
What you'll do:
- Research, design, and implement state of the art teaming algorithms for real time autonomous systems
- Take new features from ideation to prototyping, full implementation, flight testing, and all the way to field deployment
- Develop tools for rapid prototypes, simulation, visualization, etc.
- Participate in brainstorm sessions and software design for challenging issues
- Develop your professional skills and knowledge via regular literature reviews and self-directed learning
- Work in a collaborative development environment, with an emphasis on continuous integration & delivery, test-driven development
- Work with middleware frameworks (e.g. ROS, PX4, etc.), build tools (e.g. CMake, Bazel), and compiler toolchains (e.g. gcc, llvm)
Projects you might work on:
- Design and implement an Multi Agent Executive Manager for heterogeneous teams
- Decompose user objectives into Tasks for robots to execute
- Develop Task Assignment algorithms for robotic teams that are resilient to robots operating with degraded functionality
- BS in computer science or related engineering field with 7+ years of professional experience OR MS in relevant engineering field with 5+ years relevant experience.
- Experience with research or state-of-the-art algorithms in at least one of the following areas: Task and Motion Planning, Planning under Uncertainty, Task & Resource Allocation, Heterogeneous or Homogeneous Robotic Teaming, Human Robot Teaming, Logistical Planning of Vehicle Routes
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- You have strong communication skills and are able to effectively articulate ideas and timelines to cross-functional groups
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.