Director of Mechanical Engineering (R2417)
Dallas County, TX, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As the Director of Mechanical Engineering, you'll spearhead the construction, oversight, and guidance of Shield AI's UAV product line's mechanical design team. You'll guide the team seamlessly through every stage of development, instilling standardized processes that showcase top-tier hardware design, meticulous testing, and the smooth transition of finalized designs into efficient production. We're on the lookout for someone who embodies technical prowess, exudes a passion for servant leadership, and excels at cultivating robust cross-functional relationships with fellow leaders.
What you'll do:
- Pick destination and set direction: Inspirationally and clearly establish objective and purpose. Articulate how these shall be achieved swiftly, logically, boldly, and distinctively by the team.
- Build and inspire a world-class team and provision them for success: Nurture a culture anchored in our mission and values. Attract top talent and unite them in purpose, values, and culture. Inspire and empower their success with essential resources, infrastructure, and excellent leadership.
- Mobilize the organization, execute with excellence: Establish operating rhythm, processes, polices, and operating norms to convert the potential of a world-class team into an insanely effective and resilient force by focusing the energy of the team for maximum effect, efficiency, and velocity.
- Build the team of teams: Ensure that Shield AI is partnered with the right, best vendors, strategic partners, investors, and customers. Enroll these stakeholders in the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Deliver results: Produce mission impact, delighted customers, increased revenue, reduced expenses, and growth for teammates.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent with 10+ years experience
- Several progressive years of proven team management experience
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Demonstrated ability to build a strong team and mentor team members
- Experience with 3D CAD, CAE, and PLM systems.
- Experience developing and leading other multidisciplinary engineers
- Understanding of Engineering workflows and process
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US Secret Security Clearance.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- Knowledge of the aircraft design process, aircraft flight dynamics and control systems
- Experience with SolidWorks PDM administration
- Broad exposure to various manufacturing methods
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.