Senior Staff Software Engineer, Software Quality (R2427)
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state-of-the-art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Hivemind Test department (HMT) is a group of teams on a mission to build a complete and robust testing infrastructure that supports the development and integration of the world’s best AI pilot, in multiple forms, on various vehicles. Hivemind Test is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of quality, reliability, and performance in our Hivemind product ecosystem. This ecosystem includes software systems for autonomy behaviors, ground-control systems, multi-network communications, operating systems, embedded devices, and more. Our group is charged with validating and verifying the entire Hivemind software ecosystem meets reliability standards and is operationally ready to meet mission objectives. This is achieved via a cross-functional team, with skills ranging from autonomy system engineering, robotics integration, software development, test engineering, and quality-assurance.
We are actively seeking a Software Quality Engineer to bolster our HMT department, a role that is crucial in defining and maintaining the integrity of our integrated Hivemind products & solutions. This position demands a blend of technical expertise and a keen eye for quality, ensuring our products are not just good, but the best in the industry. Join Hivemind Test and be part of a team that’s shaping the future of autonomous flight. Apply now to embark on a journey of innovation, quality, and excellence!
What you'll do:
- Organize, maintain, and report on cohesive test plan documentation for our Hivemind solutions and integrated products, ensuring clarity and precision in test objectives and their execution.
- Take the lead in defect management, establishing efficient workflows between various platforms such as Jama and Azure DevOps, and ensuring a smooth process from defect identification to resolution.
- Define quality gates for releasing or integrating software, including test coverage percentages and defect thresholds; ensure major product releases uphold the highest standards of quality.
- Work towards aligning our QA practices with AS9100 and DO-178C standards, paving the way for compliance and setting a benchmark in software quality within the industry.
- Drive user experience testing to validate CONOPS and assure a delightful customer experience.
- Establish, maintain, and teach quality assurance practices and industry-leading standards within Hivemind.
- Other duties as assigned.
Projects that you might work on:
- Implement a new defect management system to streamline bug tracking and resolution.
- Develop a comprehensive test plan and release quality gates for an integrated Hivemind product on a challenging, but game-changing roadmap.
- Establish processes and tools to drive configuration-management of Hivemind products.
- Lead the initiative to align our QA processes with AS9100 and DO-178C standards.
- Build an internal Software QA team or operating model focused on integrated products built as solutions for customer defined CONOPS.
- Real-world experience building test plans or QA strategies for AI products or aircraft software.
- Requires a minimum of 10 years of related experience with a bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a master’s degree; or a PhD with 5 years of experience; or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience and competencies in developing/managing test.
- Documentation, software quality-gates, and/or defect tracking systems.
- Track record of excellence in establishing software QA practices and leading quality-assurance initiatives for projects and/or within organizations
- Strong understanding of compliance standards in software development, particularly AS9100 and DO-178C.
- Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of collaborating effectively across various teams and presenting to customers or technical leadership.
- Experience in aerospace, automotive, or AI/robotics industries: exhibiting ability to work with complex systems and adhere to stringent technical standards and/or regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects, manage resources, and build teams.
- Adaptability and a willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies quickly.
- Proficiency in programming languages relevant to Hivemind products and software testing: specifically, C++, Python, and TypeScript.
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.