Software Engineer, Task Group (R2428)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
The Planning and Controls (PAC) team is an agile group of engineers focused on researching and developing state-of-the-art algorithms that drive intelligent and confidence-inspiring flight behaviors while accounting for an uncertain and dynamic world.
As a member of PAC, you will work at the intersection of artificial intelligence, task & motion planning, and controls. You will architect core systems, write high quality software for core systems, set standards for software engineering, refine technical requirements, drive strategic technical improvements, and mentor other engineers.
What you'll do:
- Research, design, and implement state-of-the-art planning algorithms, taking ideas from conception to field deployment
- Optimize the planning stack on the CPU and GPU
- Develop core systems that must be portable and scalable across different UAS platforms and compute architectures
- Work with our Hivemind Design Software team to design and build infrastructure for the PAC team that both supports local development and scales into the cloud
- Work with soft or hard real-time operating systems
- Work with robotics middleware such as ROS and PX4
- Work on algorithms, including graph search, sampling-based planning, etc.
- Work with and deploy our AI stack to edge devices
- Work in collaboration with our DevOps teams to architect and maintain our cloud infrastructure, working with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes; assist with cross-platform builds and test orchestration, working with build tools (e.g. CMake, Bazel, etc.) and compiler tool chains (e.g. gcc, llvm, etc.)
Projects you might work on:
- Design and implement Mission Planning interfaces or Multi-agent coordination for Tasks given to heterogeneous teams.
- Port PAC libraries, where applicable, to CUDA kernels
- Port PAC libraries to EdgeOS, a Shield AI Middleware framework, that enables portability of PAC libraries to multiple platforms and compute architectures
- Design and implement an analysis and simulation framework that: enables testing of various components in isolation or in a fully integrated manner; supports parameter sweeps; supports hardware-in-the-loop
- BS in computer science or related engineering field with 4+ years of professional experience
- Proficient with C++ 11, 14, or 17 in a production environment (e.g. support for both internal and external customers)
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Strong knowledge of modern software engineering best practices
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Familiarity with writing thread-safe multi-threaded programs
- Familiarity with common debugging and profiling tools (e.g. gdb, valgrind, etc.)
- Familiarity with git, bash, Python
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.