Staff Engineer, Human Factors (R2485)
Dallas County, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As a Human Factors Engineer, you will work on real-world projects focused on manned-unmanned teaming (MUM-T) concepts that impact the design, operation, interaction, management, and analysis of intelligent unmanned aerial systems. You will work alongside a team of passionate and driven engineers, user experience (UX) designers, product managers as well as interact with subject matter experts (SMEs) in unmanned systems operations. Join our team and shape the future of artificially intelligent systems
What You'll Do:
- Review and select human factors methodologies; adapt and apply them to the design and evaluation of our products
- Conduct field research using ethnographic methods and cognitive task analysis to develop and validate system requirements
- Contribute to use case, user stories and scenario development that drive product design processes
- Collaborate with UX designers to create and review impactful human-machine interface designs and prototypes
- Advocate for human perceptual and cognitive considerations as they apply to sense-making and decision-making tools
- Ensure compliance with customer human factors standards
- Present interface designs and prototypes to multiple audiences for feedback and/or handoff
- Conduct testing in order to approve software features and releases
- Prepare test plans that collect quantitative and qualitative data in modeling and simulation contexts as well as live flight tests
- Recommend and write requirements for human-machine interface instrumentation that provides improved insights to user interactions
- Review and provide feedback on technical documentation and systems engineering documentation
- Conduct literature reviews and create written summaries and briefings containing recommendations for our products
- Travel to company, test, and customer locations to conduct project work
- Typically requires a minimum of 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or 4 years with a Ph.D. in human factors engineering/psychology, cognitive systems engineering, integrated systems engineering, applied cognitive science, information science, or related discipline.
- Prior experience in a multidisciplinary setting
- Prior experience developing and executing research or test plans involving human subjects
- Knowledge of human factors and human performance concepts and theories
- Passion for solving complex problems while navigating constraints and trade-offs in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with MUM-T, human-robot interaction or artificial intelligence applications
- Experience with human-machine interface design
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.