We are hiring an Operations Associate.
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
This role is incredibly exciting for the right candidate. It will give this person exposure across all types of functions within a company (from finance to product to content) and exposure across varying levels of initiatives - from strategic initiatives to key items that ensure the company is efficient in its day to day operations. Crucially, this individual will serve as the essential link, bridging high-level discussions to execution and connecting the Executive Team to all tiers within the organization. The role also entails managing, supporting, and translating the priorities of theSkimm's President (and Executive Team) to different business sectors and into necessary workstreams.
We are an incredibly collaborative organization, it’s usually what you will hear from those that are here and from those that have gone on to new adventures. That’s because we are all striving for the same goals and marching towards the same vision for theSkimm. We are scrappy yet sophisticated and everything we do so you’ll get that startup vibe, coupled with a company that knows where it is going and why. We are here to empower generations of informed, confident women. We make it easier to live smarter. We inform her, we educate her and we are building more to continue to do those things and also to facilitate her actions from buying the right products at the right time to understanding and feeling confident when it comes to buying a house.
The ultimate goal is to take ownership of some of the operational burden currently sitting with the President and his office. And you will have fun and learn a lot along the way.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
This role will touch every aspect of the organization but here are some key areas of how you will contribute:
- Monitor, prioritize, and manage tasks derived from the President, particularly those linked to operations, guaranteeing their timely and efficient completion.
- Success in this area is marked by support in ensuring tasks are completed on time.
- Foster and facilitate cross-departmental coordination and communication to ensure operational efficiency.
- Success is demonstrated by the effective flow of information between departments and support towards the achievement of collective operational goals.
- Own next steps and follow ups coming out of the Exec & Senior Staff meetings, ensuring they are clearly communicated and completed effectively
- Success is measured by the timely and successful delivery of follow-ups and ensuring team is meeting their individual deliverables as part of the whole.
- Manage and supervise ad-hoc projects from inception through to implementation.
- Success is measured by the timely and successful delivery of projects and initiatives.
- Resolve operational issues, identify patterns, and suggest improvements accordingly.
- Success will be reflected in the enhanced efficiency of operations and the mitigation of recurring issues.
- Assist with preparation for meetings where necessary, especially those tied to prior follow-ups
- Success is demonstrated by efficient and productive meetings.
- Support key initiatives by working closely with stakeholders
- Success will be visible in the positive progression of key initiatives and high levels of engagement across departments
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, or related field.
- Excellent organizational abilities.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and work closely and drive team members at all levels.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Proven experience in an operational role or similar.
- Prior experience working with leadership and C-suite a plus.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize them effectively, often within tight deadlines.
- Ability to take a step back and understand context
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with discretion and a professional demeanor at all times
The expected annual base salary for this role is $70,000-$80,000. We’ll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
WHY WE LOVE WORKING HERE
We are mission driven and values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world and the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose and allows us to provide useful information succinctly and contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work and our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand and takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each and every day.
We put you and your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans and commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day and employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering and surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building and fertility benefits
- Flexible and broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company “time off” during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee Resource Groups
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs and activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, and wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office and remote, to connect and have fun
Your career and development are a priority:
- Annual learning and development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners and colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance and planning
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s suite of membership products and swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
OUR STORY, SKIMM'D
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Everyday we’re breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, top-rated podcasts: “Skimm This” and “9 to 5ish with theSkimm,” theSkimm mobile app, virtual course series SkimmU, and Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred one million voting-related actions across the last three election cycles, and it's #ShowUsYourLeave movement, creating transparency and change for Paid Family Leave in the U.S.
Come join us!
Learn more about us and our other opportunities here.
WHAT ABOUT THE OFFICE
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We have a hybrid environment and ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York and will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations and will also require additional boosters, and will always follow CDC and NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
*Any correspondence from our team will come from a @theskimm.com email account!