Director, Identity & Fraud Experience
About the role
Chime’s Operations and Member Experience team (OMX) is building a world-class customer (member) experience. Wrapped around our industry-leading product suite, the member experience is a critical part of why we’re the most loved checking account in America. We are obsessed with delivering frictionless experiences, providing self-service and automated capabilities to help members solve their own issues, creating virtual communities for members to support each other, and providing excellent service when members do choose to contact us. Our member obsession shows up in every part of the member experience.
The Director of Identity and Fraud Experience is responsible for designing and executing on operational strategies to ensure Chime is protected against fraudsters while providing reassurance through our processes and front-line that our members know they can rely on Chime for quick action. We’ll rely on you to ensure our investigations are timely, accurate, and compliant, and that we are well-positioned to scale our operations as we grow to serve tens of millions of Chime members. This is a highly visible leadership role where you have the opportunity to work on top company priorities and be seen as a strategic thought partner to reduce fraud losses while simultaneously improving our member experiences.
Reporting into the Vice President of Member Experience, you will provide strategic guidance and thought leadership to continuously improve the end-to-end access, identity, authentication and fraud experiences. Leaning on your subject matter expertise and process optimization skills, you will ensure compliance across all regulatory requirements while partnering with cross functional teams to improve fraud detection and driving process improvements in the most efficient and member-focused manner possible. You will work closely with leaders within Risk and multiple cross functional teams (including product, engineering, analytics, legal, compliance as well as OMX functional teams).
You will lead teams of process and performance management experts to improve operational strategies and member experience, minimize time to re-enablement, and maintain regulatory compliance across third party and internal operations. As a leader of people managers, you will guide your team to optimize workflows to improve turnaround times, reduce errors, and improve operational costs.
The ideal candidate is a transformational change agent who is member-obsessed, results oriented, data driven with deep expertise in account access, identity, authentication and fraud operations related programs. This candidate has experience in a high growth, tech savvy organization and brings a track record of scaling rapidly growing operations in a way that drives deeper customer satisfaction, trust and loyalty.
The base salary offered for this role and level of experience will begin at $168,570 and up to $238,900. Full-time employees are also eligible for a bonus, competitive equity package, and benefits. The actual base salary offered may be higher, depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to
- Develop a strategy, roadmap of initiatives and set of measurable goals to scale and optimize the Identity & Fraud Experience function in a way that stays ahead of the company’s growth
- Deliver a program of work that drives operational cost, risk mitigation and member experience improvements by applying six sigma, lean or similar methodologies
- Create business cases to convey ROI on investing in technology / tool driven or automation oriented solutions that will enable absorption of growth and scale efficiencies
- Use your analytical and storytelling skills to influence key collaborators and partners to invest and prioritize in scalable solutions that will mitigate fraud while protecting our members’ access and identity
- Collaborate with Operations to improve the execution of your envisioned member experiences and increase consistency of member outcomes; and collaborate closely with cross-functional teams including Product, Risk, Compliance and Legal to champion and complete your vision, including self-service tools, member education and communication, product features and more
- Lead an organization of ~11 employees and ~700 BPO agents; coach, support and develop talent within the team; cultivate a hard-working and highly engaged team by creating an environment where the team is empowered and trusted to make decisions, encouraged to be creative / try new things, and is supported in working together to solve problems and deliver actionable outcomes
To thrive in this role, you have
- BA or BS degree; MBA or other advanced graduate degree a plus
- 8+ years of experience in a Operational role, preferably with a Risk or Fraud function leading large teams
- Experience with digital banking, payments and/or payment networks
- A deep understanding of the regulatory environment and experience in providing oversight as Line 1 to ensure compliance and adherence
- Background in process re-engineering and optimization with a proven history of balancing fraud/risk and member experience needs
- A love for data where you are skilled in redefining data and using visuals to craft powerful and compelling narratives or stories that persuade your partners to take action
- Consistent track record of people leadership and fostering a highly engaged and hard-working environment
- Experience working at a hands on level with other groups like engineers, product managers, data analysts, operations analysts in building fraud processes and systems
- Demonstrated conflict management and negotiation skills; including ability to influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of management
- The ability to travel within the US and internationally as required (6-8 trips a year)
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We’ve built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $25.5B. We’ve raised over $1.7B in funding from leading investors including Sequoia Capital Global Equities, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, General Atlantic, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DST, Coatue, Iconiq, Menlo Ventures and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📝 Quarterly stipend to spruce up your home office
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with federal, state, and Cook County ordinances. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.