Director of Communications, Trust, Safety, and Issue Management
About the role
Chime is seeking to expand its Communications team and is looking for a seasoned leader, skilled media relations pro, and a creative communicator with a track record of telling compelling and complex stories to lead our trust, safety, and issues management. In partnership with a broad group of cross-functional partners, the Director of Communications will lead issues communications, share our product and tech story, and develop creative ways to drive home our mission to the media and the general public.
In this role, you will be responsible for working with the Communications team and cross functional partners from Operations/Member services, Marketing, Legal, People, Bank Partnerships, Risk, Tech, Product, and Government Affairs to craft and to develop key messaging and narratives, and identify storytelling opportunities to ensure factual reporting and build awareness of Chime’s policies, product, and milestones to many different audiences, including our community and press. You'll also assist in responding to Trust and Safety-related inquiries, handle crises and issues as they emerge, and become deeply ingrained in the Chime’s member community to develop integrated campaigns that educate and build awareness of our Trust and Safety measures built around our member-obsessed, mission-driven culture. This role will report directly to the VP of Communications and sit on the broader Corporate Affairs team, collaborating closely with the cross-functional leaders.
The base salary offered for this role and level of experience will begin at $168,570 and up to $238,900. Full-time employees are also eligible for a bonus, competitive equity package, and benefits. The actual base salary offered may be higher, depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Help manage company responses for crisis and emerging issues, working across Chime to create messaging and respond quickly and effectively
- Develop and amplify Trust and Safety narratives and communications around important products, policies, and milestones
- Develop and amplify Chime’s Tech and Product story across owned, paid, and earned channels.
- Identify opportunities to share Chime’s Trust and Safety narrative through creative programming and proactive storytelling
- Engage with important media and other important external partners to provide an understanding of Chime’s products and services and
- Create the foundational materials needed to deliver compelling, consistent narratives
- Establish a deep understanding of Chime’s members, policies, and products, and tell stories that translate those concepts to broad audiences
- Build and maintain strong relationships with national and local media
- Develop executive visibility plans and third party engagement plans in partnership with the broader Communications and Corporate Affairs team
To thrive in this role, you have:
- 10+ years of public relations/communications experience with some in-house experience
- Experience with crisis communications, issues management, and addressing trust and safety issues
- Established relationships with a broad range of U.S. tech/finance sector media and experience working with local media.
- Experience working in a high-growth, tech company.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, with sound business judgment in fast-paced and ambiguous situations across multiple functions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and comfort being a company spokesperson
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm for Chime, our values, and our community
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we’ve empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest-growing U.S. player in the challenger-banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee-free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We’ve built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $25.5B. We’ve raised over $1.7B in funding from leading investors including Sequoia Capital Global Equities, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, General Atlantic, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DST, Coatue, Iconiq, Menlo Ventures and others.
What we offer
- 💰 Competitive salary based on experience
- ✨ 401k match plus the usual medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy and company-wide Take Care of Yourself Days
- 🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow Chimers- think cooking classes, music festivals, mixology classes, paint nights, etc., and delicious snack boxes, too!
- 💚 A challenging and fulfilling opportunity to join one of the most experienced teams in FinTech and help create a completely new kind of banking service
We know that great work comes from great, and inclusive teams. At Chime, we specifically look for individuals of varying strengths, skills, backgrounds, and ideas. We believe this gives us a competitive advantage to better serve our members and helps us all grow as Chimers and individuals.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chime is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. To learn more about how Chime collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Chime Applicant Privacy Notice.