Senior Data Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, January 6, 2024
Color is a health technology company that makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. We work with employers, labor unions, national health initiatives, governments, and public health institutions to provide the tools for preventive health and disease management, including cancer early detection, screening, and care management.
Apply to join Color and do the most meaningful work of your career. If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified but are up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
The data engineering team designs, develops, and optimizes the flow of data throughout the organization, enabling Color to provide valuable insights to our partners, who in turn can more effectively improve the health of their populations. This team covers a large area, ensuring that data flows smoothly and seamlessly through the enterprise data pipeline, and creates data solutions for external and internal partners. This role is open to remote work outside of the San Francisco Bay Area!
How You’ll Contribute:
- Develop and automate large-scale data processing systems to deliver data insights at an enterprise scale across Color’s operations. The systems will be crucial for teams to serve accurate, fresh data internally and to external customers.
- Develop and enhance logging, metrics, and alerts that enable us to ensure our data is fresh and accurate for internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with software engineers to influence source data model designs that help provide easy access to complex data sets.
- Work with analysts and data scientists to help design systems that deliver insights to internal partners and external customers.
- Create data solutions that enable cross-functional data consumers to self-serve their own analytic needs.
- Foster a learning culture, expanding your own knowledge and sharing it with the team.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 7 years of professional experience working with data
- Ability to lead complex data-related software engineering projects from design to completion
- Experience with a variety of data acquisition techniques, involving API sources and third-party ingestion mechanisms
- Commitment to maintaining a high bar for quality of code, and passion about rigorous engineering practices, including performance optimization and documentation
- Adept knowledge of SQL databases and queries, as well as experience modeling data for analytics and reporting
- Proficiency in Python
- Skill working with modern computing platforms and tools such as AWS, BigQuery, Airflow, and dbt
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build relationships with technical and non-technical partners across the organization
Nice to Have:
- You’ve previously worked with large amounts of healthcare or genomic data
- You have experience developing full data pipelines from data ingestion to modeling to visualization
- You have working familiarity with at least one data visualization platform
- You’ve used Django ORM to fetch data
Possible Projects To Contribute To:
- Design and implement new API-sourced data pipelines to provide a comprehensive view of the entire patient experience
- Develop data warehouse models that track a patient’s health improvements over time
- Optimize our data warehouse models to ensure rapid refresh rates at scale
- Enhance data models to provide insights into the success of Color’s partnership with the American Cancer Society
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📝 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family
Base Salary Range: $162,000 - $210,000 per year
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: work experience, market data, skills, geographic location, and business need. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Color is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process.