Senior Staff Engineer, Payment Systems
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Here’s what you’ll do day to day:
- Design and build scalable payments systems that process large scale financial transactions in a safe and secure way.
- Own what you build end to end as you architect, implement, review, test, and iterate Gusto’s Fintech product suite.
- Design highly scalable systems that drive the business growth for the next decade.
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems throughout the stack and contribute daily to all parts of our product code base.
- Partner with product, data, finance, operations to push the boundaries of what the Fintech platforms can support.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of technical experience with 4+ years of technical leadership role in the Fintech payments domain.
- Experience in designing complex financial payments systems, including, payments gateway, reconciliation system, ledger system, payment system redundancy and scalability.
- Passionate about building the Fintech system that moves billions of dollars securely.
- Independent, dedicated, and able to deliver production ready code with minimal guidance.
- Enjoy working on technologies such as Ruby, Rails, Sidekiq, MySql, and AWS etc.
- Well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code that balances beauty and pragmatism.
- Experience developing best practices to build out and maintain scalable systems, service oriented applications, and more.
Learn more about the team:
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $250,000-$290,000 in the San Francisco Bay area. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.