Head of Business Technology Development
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Head of Business Technology Development (Salesforce)
Gusto is looking for an innovative and experienced Salesforce engineering leader to spearhead our Go-to-Market Technology team. This role involves leading a dynamic cross-functional technology group with the goal of transforming the customer experience and optimizing business operations. You will collaborate closely with customer-facing and partner service teams throughout Gusto Operations, empowering them with the tools and insights they need to deliver exceptional service to our end-users.
In this role, you will be responsible for deeply understanding business priorities, crafting a strategy and roadmap for technology tools, and partnering with our Engineering teams to create and implement solutions that empower our Operations teams. As the Head of this function, you will oversee a big team consisting of tech leads, platform administrators, and developers who work closely with Operations, product management, and engineering leadership across Gusto to design and provide tools for our high-touch service teams.
Here’s What You’ll Do
- Strategic Technology Planning: Formulate a comprehensive plan for business applications that addresses the requirements of Gusto's customer operations. Develop a comprehensive roadmap that encompasses both infrastructure and tool development, ensuring alignment with the strategic direction set by the Operations and Product leadership teams.
- Team Management: Lead a team consisting of System Architects, Developers, Administrators, and Program Managers, entrusted with the development and maintenance of three distinct sets of operational systems and tools for Gusto's operations. Offer direction to the Business Applications Management team, enabling them to shape the operational production and administration strategy for all Operations.
- Thought Leadership: Define a well-defined vision, set goals and objectives (OKRs), prioritize tasks, and work collaboratively with the team to accomplish them. Ensure the provision of top-notch customer service and ongoing enhancement of technical expertise. Implement a strong prioritization framework for operations within the Servicing Infrastructure & Tools domain.
- Stakeholder Management: Collaborate with Operations, Product Management, and Engineering to translate customer requirements into an enhanced product. Cultivate strong relationships with product and engineering teams, fostering a collaborative approach to delivering innovative tools. Hold product teams accountable for meeting requirements and ensure active engagement of the business team in achieving deployment objectives.
- Technology Program Implementation: Work with Business Applications leaders to improve the systems and tools that are used to service customers, with a focus on Salesforce Service Cloud for case management. Optimize these improvements through custom development and system integrations. Maintain a good working relationship with Product and Engineering teams, and introduce practices to continuously improve the Business Applications development model.
Here's What We're Looking For
- Proven background in leading technical teams for business applications, particularly within a fast-growing enterprise.
- Minimum 10+ years experience in roles related to enterprise systems lead, technology consulting, or management.
- Profound expertise spanning various dimensions of Salesforce solutions, including Service Cloud and Sales Cloud, in addition to a comprehensive understanding of tools integral to business applications like NICE.
- A track record of successfully influencing senior executives and executing transformative business initiatives through close collaboration with product development teams.
- Exceptional executive presence and the ability to exert influence effectively with senior stakeholders across diverse organizational contexts.
- Proficiency in leading cross-functional teams, encompassing team leads, developers, and administrators.
- A dedicated delivery-focused mindset, characterized by a propensity for tackling intricate issues through methodical root cause analysis and purposeful prioritization, even within challenging and uncertain situations.
- Proficiency in communicating adeptly with technical and business stakeholders and end-users. Exceptional aptitude for problem-solving and analytical reasoning.
- Highly developed skills in fostering relationships, promoting collaboration, and effective negotiation.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $228,000-$272,000 for San Francisco & New York plus equity. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to email@example.com.